With summer approaching, many people like to switch their dining choices to that of an outside food cart. There seems to be an unlimited variety of curbside food choices in our region of Northern Idaho and Eastern Washington. There are great food carts, kiosks, trucks and stands serving everything from snow-cones & hotdogs to coffee & espresso. No matter what type of stand or what menu they serve, all food carts have two things in common. Liability & Risk.
GENERAL FOOD CART SAFETY
While the risk for an accident cannot be eliminated, practicing common safety procedures is important to every business. Whether your food stand is a seasonal operation preparing to re-start for the year, or it’s a year-long business operating as usual, the need for operating with preparation and safety is always important. Here are a few general tips to consider when running a food cart or mobile food business:
- Be aware of and review the food safety manuals and regulations for your state.
- Keep fire extinguishers and other fire safety equipment on hand and check them often for proper maintenance.
- Keep a first aid kit in the unit stocked to care for burns, cuts and minor injuries.
- Perform routine maintenance on the exterior of the cart or stand to ensure the area around the cart is clean and safe for employees and customers.
- Keep the interior of the unit clean and well maintained.
- Perform regular maintenance checks on all electrical and cooking surfaces and units to ensure they are clean, grease-free and in working condition.
FOOD CART INSURANCE
Just as with every business, food carts carry the need for general liability and property coverage to help protect the owner and company from financial damage suffered from accidents that may happen at their business.
Red Shield Insurance, which is one of the great companies we represent at Kuespert Insurance, has been providing insurance coverage to members of the food cart industry for more than 15 years.
Food cart insurance policies can provide general liability and property coverage for mobile and fixed location food carts and stands and the fixtures included in them. Policies can also cover food carts, stands or catering services at special events and fairs.
With a food cart insurance policy from Red Shield Insurance or another one of our great commercial insurance companies, your food cart can be covered for:
- General Liability – General liability insurance helps cover if injuries result or property is damaged on food cart premises or if your business is at fault for the occurrence.
- Outdoor Property – The property and all signage in and around the premises within 100 feet of the food cart can be covered with property insurance coverage.
- Theft of money from the cart – A policy can provide coverage for up to $500 of money stolen from the food cart.
- Spoilage of food within the food cart or stand
For more information about food cart insurance contact one of our agents today and we can help you determine what type of policy is right for your business. Request a free commercial insurance quote online and we'll get back to you soon. Or call one of our agents today for more information:
- Food cart and stand insurance in Northern Idaho give us a call at Kuespert Insurance in Moscow, ID or Panhandle Insurance in Coeur d'Alene, ID
- Food cart and stand insurance information in the Spokane area, contact us at Argonne Insurance in Spokane Valley, WA
Need Restaurant Insurance?
Looking to expand your food truck to a restaurant and need information about restaurant insurance? Or do you already have a restaurant and are looking for more competitive coverage? Our business insurance agents work with you to find the best coverage and affordable option for your restaurant, food franchise, bistro, diner or bar in Idaho and Washington. Click here for more information about restaurant insurance or talk to one of our agents today